Translate

Monday, March 14, 2011

Daily Assignment #46: Summarizers

First, I apologize for not posting Sunday night.  Due to circumstances beyond my control, I did not have access to a computer.  Thank you for checking in anyway.

My focus for the next 2 weeks will be summarizers.  The word summarize means to give a brief statement of the main points of something.  Summarizers bring closure to a lesson or a day. They are a way to assess student learning and only take 5-10 minutes. Through summarizers teachers will discover confusions, misconceptions or misunderstandings and design future lessons accordingly. They can also be an effective strategy during a lesson, especially if students have been listening to a lecture or reading a lengthy piece of writing. For example, using Paired Verbal Fluency will help students to process the information before taking on more information.  Summarizers help students to make connections to prior learning and to summarize their thoughts. Summarizers help students retain what they have learned.  Research has shown that students who do not use a summarizer at the end of a lesson lose 85% of what they have learned within the first 24 hours.

"By teaching summarizing techniques, teachers' can enhance students' ability to synthesize and organize  information in a way that captures the main ideas and supporting details."  Robert Marzano

3*2*1 Summarizer

Write down:    3 facts you have learned
                          *________________________
                          *________________________
                          *________________________
                        2 facts that surprised you
                          *________________________
                          *________________________
                        1 question you have
                          *________________________

The 3*2*1 can be adapted for the content/activity.

Other examples:
3 things I learned today
2 things I want to learn more about
1 question I have

3 ways to make $1.00
2 ways to make $ .50
1 way to make $1.00 with the fewest coins

3 most important things I learned
2 questions that still need to be answered
1 way this learning connects with what I learned before

3 important facts I've learned about photosynthesis
2 connections I made with other science projects
1 question I have after reading the text

3 characteristics of Scrooge
2 comparisons of Scrooge and Cratchit
1 theme of the selection

I hope you will experiment with this summarizer and let us know how it goes.  On Wednesday I will describe another summarizer for you.

In the meantime, please share this blog site with colleagues and friends. If you haven't already, please consider becoming a "Follower".

Best Effort.
Linda103

No comments:

Post a Comment